Have you completed a loading dock safety assessment?
This Loading Dock Audit Checklist is a great tool to assess the hazards present within the material transfer zone(MTZ) and provides a clear picture of where you can improve your safety.
This checklist for dock safety should be completed, at minimum, every quarter to ensure your loading dock remains a highly functional safe working environment.
The loading dock safety checklist covers important aspects such as:
- Training – This is a review of the relevant training needed for safe work within the MTZ
- Housekeeping – a clean and orderly work environment is the foundation of a safe workplace
- Material handling equipment(MHE) – a solid check of all MHE will ensure employees are only using the safest equipment possible.
- Loading zone – Is the loading zone properly setup for safe operation
- General safety – many of the questions here are applicable for total warehouse safety, but with the fast moving work within the MTZ it should be checked regularly.
A great way to perform a loading dock safety assessment is by bringing together your site safety committee and using this checklist, so there are multiple perspectives in helping to identify hazards at the loading dock.
Check Out: Safe Lifting and Carrying Training as proper lifting will help reduce injuries, and employees need proper training on how to lift and carry safely.
Do you have other safety needs for your loading dock?
- Loading Dock Safety Awareness Training
- Loading Dock Safe Operating Policy
- Glad Hand Lock Operation Training
- Toolbox Talk – Loading Dock Safety